Monday, January 9, 2012

Article on one of the book artists: Christa Alford

Below is an excerpt from the Standard Speaker (newspaper in Hazleton, PA) of a great article on one of the book artists, Christa Alford.  Thanks to Christa as well for mentioning the book!

Woman perseveres with artwork

"An Eagle Rock woman isn't letting her disability interfere with her goals." "Christa Alford, who has chronic fatigue syndrome, had her artwork chosen for the book "Sculpture and Design with Recycled Glass" by Cindy Ann Coldiron."

"Being among the 40 artists selected from around the world is exciting, Alford said, because she's been making recycled glass mosaics for 10 years. " "She started soon after she was diagnosed with chronic fatigue, a debilitating disorder that saps her of her energy."

"I was very sick," Alford said. "I couldn't leave my house, and of course, I was bored. I always liked mosaics, but I couldn't go out and buy the supplies." "She decided to use glass available in her home."

"I started breaking picture frames and mirrors and putting them together," she explained. She often hand paints the broken pieces, too."

jwhalen@standardspeaker.com
To read the full article, click here.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment